Want to add an in-law suite to your home?
Your Local In-law Suite Remodeling Expert
Home Architect Studio is your local in-law studio remodeling expert when you want to custom design a quiet, complementary in-law suite that blends well with your current space. Whether you need to give your relatives day-to-day care or just want them close to ensure their safety, our Bergen County remodeling contractors will give you the same care that you would expect from a close family friend. We will respect your home, your family, and your property, and will always treat you with respect and friendly professionalism.
Our experts will guide you through the remodeling process and will treat your addition like we are adding it to our own home. We have years of experience, and we work with a singular goal – to provide you with quality work at affordable prices.
Home Architect Studio provides in-law suite remodeling services to the following local areas:
- Bergen County, New Jersey
- Passaic County, New Jersey
- Essex County, New Jersey
- Hudson County, New Jersey
- Union County, New Jersey
- Morris County, New Jersey
- Sussex County, New Jersey
Ideas for an In-Law Suite
There are a variety of amenities an in-law suite can contain. Some of the basic sections we can build include:
- Living Space: This could be a living room, large bedroom, or both. If you have a smaller space, we could create a cozy and comfortable bedroom with some extra seating. If you have a larger space, or are willing to build onto your home, we can create a bedroom and a sitting room or living room to provide your elderly relatives with the most comfort and ease possible.
- Kitchens: From a small galley style kitchenette to a fully functional kitchen, in-law suites often have kitchen spaces. We can custom design a kitchen that will blend seamlessly into the rest of the suite and meet your budget and the needs of your family, especially the members who will be living in the suite.
- Bathrooms: Let Home Architect Studio create a beautiful, universally accessible bathroom for your family members! We can build a threshold free shower, a tub, or plan for handicapped access. No matter what your needs, we can accommodate them. We’ll ensure that we work within your budget range and your current home’s style.
And more! There are practically endless ways to customize your in-law suite! Whatever your needs are, our professional designers will create a custom floorplan that works with your home, your needs, your budget, and your schedule.
Benefits to an In-Law Suite
In addition to the peace of mind an in-law suite can bring by allowing you to keep your aging relatives close in case they need anything, these suites can also dramatically increase the value of your home. In some areas, an in-law suite could increase your listing price by up to 50%! So even if you do not have elderly relatives that you want to keep close, adding an in-law suite to your home could vastly increase your resale value and be a great addition to your home for overnight guests.
Looking for some In-Law Suite tips? Take a look at this interesting article.
Here are Home Architect Studio, the following five points for In-Law suites designs should be checked.
1. Check Local Building Codes
Before you begin, check with your town on local building codes because this can limit what you can do with your addition. Most zoning rules limit additions to having a bedroom, bath, sitting area and kitchenette. A great starting point may be a local property zoning review.
2. Choose a Location
With the type of space you want to build in mind, it’s time to look around your home for the best place to build, convert or add on. Local building department permitting, you can transform your garage or porch area to an enclosed dwelling. If you’re looking to create a new addition to your house, look for an area along the first floor next to a room you underutilized and can use a space near an existing bathroom. If you convert existing rooms, you can combine two rooms to make a suite. A home project review may be able to help.
3. Separate Utilities
You may want to consider keeping your addition on its own separate power, plumbing, heat and A/C source. It will help in the future should you decide to charge an occupant rent, and more importantly, you can shut the unit down when it’s not being lived in.
4. Keep your In-Law Suite Occupants in Mind
When laying out the floor plans for your addition and choosing what kind of addition to create, keep the ones who will be living there in mind.
- Will they need wider doors and hallways?
- Assistance enabled baths with handles and stylish guardrails?
- Non-slip flooring and no-curb showers?
Even if your parents or in-laws are physically active now, they may need help from time to time in the future. This also goes for how much privacy and independence they desire. If you want to spend a lot of time together, maybe you can forgo a kitchen or sitting area and share the communal ones. Or maybe they would prefer an entirely separate living arrangement. It’s up to your family.
5. Enjoy Your In-Law Suite Family members
Having a parent move in with you may seem challenging at first, but many families who are interviewed say it’s been a blessing and many wish they’d done it sooner. Yes there are the financial benefits of cut care costs, but the biggest benefit is spending more time with your entire family and taking care of those who once took care of you.
Professional In-Law Suite Experts
For a remodeling project of this magnitude, you will want to work with true professionals. Home Architect Studio is a family-owned architecture and construction management company that prides itself on our excellent customer satisfaction.
We work with you to create unique designs that focus on your family’s personality and lifestyle, while being made to last and to meet the highest quality standards. Every design we create will take your home life into account, and create a seamless flow with your existing construction.
We want to build a LIFETIME relationship with you and your family, and not just offer you a best-guess estimate over the phone and wait for your approval. That’s why our phone consultations are a very in-depth; to see if we are the right match for your needs. When we meet with you, we’ll talk about your budget, schedule, vision, and help you get started with your dream home renovation.
Whether you just have some questions or are interested in setting up a consultation with us, we’d love to hear from you.